Thursday, June 3, 2010

More on the AWOL Prop

Ok, it is now raining catz and dawgs and I am ready to put the Autoprop back on. Bear thinks I might be well advised to stay out of the water while it is lightening, so I will cool my jets until the thing goes away. The day started with a two mile walk to the West Marine to get some shaft keys to install the prop. Guess what? They quit carrying those important pieces of metal. Guess another rack of tacky shorts is way more profitable. They did have an expansion tank for our on board fresh water system. The original one leaks. The designer of deck shoes should try to hoof it two miles on a ninety degree day and see how far he can go without blisters. Laziness on my part kept the bicycles in the bag below.

Just as I was leaving WM, the sky opened up. I was heading, again on foot, to a propeller company to get some shaft keys. I got about half way there, another two mile walk and decided to call a taxi. We got to the propeller company and they couldn't find the keys they told me they had when I called. They did machine some for me and that was a good thing. Fort Lauderdale has more boat related companies than any place we have been.

Back at the boat, I was working on the prop when a fellow walked past WK and looked at her stern for the hailing port. He then introduced himself as the fellow that sold WK new to her former owner. What a small world. He knows Safari's crew.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Captain Bligh, If I may suggest a small line on said Autoprop whilst you make repairs in the marina to shorten the search should/when you sneeze.

(In Vegas, it's called insurance. Protect my hand in case of Ooops! %*#@&?! This way I can buy an 'I told you so' for next to nothing.)

You one Lucky Big Boy, Joe. P